Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button Paramadhamma.org - Route
Paramadharmawardhanaramaya, Boralesgamuwa
Route
  • There is approximately 13 km between Colombo and Boralesgamuwa. If one is approaching the temple from Colombo, travel along Colombo-Horana Road and pass Raththanapitiya junction. To the left of the road near the "Pizza Hut" restaurant is G.H.Perera Avenue. Turn and travel for about 550 meters along this avenue and turn to the left. A little distance away is the temple. If travelling via Boralesgamuwa, just after passing the Pillewa paddy field, G.H.Perera avenue can be approached on the right side of the road.

  • Another option is to travel along Colombo-Rathnapura road and turn to the right at Delkanda Junction. Then travel until you come across Sri Pemananda Avenue at your left side (Just before the Raththanapitiya Junction). Travel for about 950 meters to approach the temple.

  • Travellers who take Colombo-Rathnapura Road can also turn to the right at Wijerama Junction, travel along Soratha Avenue (University Road) pass Sri Jayawardhanapura Campus and turn to Sri Pemananda Avenue to your right and travel about 750 meters.
  • Nearby Historical Attractions
    ...

    Sunetradevi Rajamaha Viharaya

    King Parakramabahu the 6th who became the first ruler in the Kotte Kingdom in 1412 established the Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya in the year 1451, in memory of his mother queen Sunethradevi. In ancient times this temple had owned 378 acres of land and it was the controlling centre of both the Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya and Sunethradevi Pirivena (School of novice monks).

    Though this temple was second only to the Kotte Raja Maha Viharaya those glorious days, what remain today is the constructions done during the early part of the 18th Century. According to historic chronicles, this temple was completely destroyed by the invasion of the Portuguese in the year 1582. The stones and bricks of the buildings were taken away by the invaders to build their offices and churches. To reach Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya turn from the Pepiliyana Junction to Pepiliyana road and proceed a few meters. The distance from Raththanapitiya Paramadharmawardhanaramaya to this temple is about 2.6 kms.

    ...

    Sunetradevi Maha Pirivena

    Kotte era is added to history as the "Golden era of Sinhala Literature", thus paving the way to a golden age of culture in the whole island. Education is the main factor for the development of literature. Sunethradevi Pirivena of Pepiliyana which was a masterpiece of King Parakramabahu the 6th and was administered under the supervision of Sunethradevi Rajamaha Viharaya stands as evidence to the fact that during the Kotte era. The standard of education was very high in fact; the standard was as same as that of the present day universities. It consisted of very complex curricula which included Sinhala, Pali, Sanskrit, Buddhism, Logic, Political Science, Astrology and Medicine.

    Among the teaching staff of the school and the scholars they produced, were world renowned monks and laymen. The Portuguese invasion in 1582 saw this place completely destroyed. The store script belonging to the Pepiliyana Sunethradevi Raja Maha Vihara which was found closer to the coastal area of Dehiwala during the early parts of the 20th century is stored at the Pirivena. This Pirivena which is situated at the Pepiliyana junction is 2.3 km away from the Raththanapitiya Paramadharmawardhanaramaya temple.

    ...

    Bellanwila Rajamaha Viharaya

    Records reveal that the history of Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya goes back to the Anuradhapura era. The sacred Bo Tree planted at the temple is one of the 32 Bo saplings which sprang from the most sacred and revered Bo tree at Anuradhapura.

    Facts regarding Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya from Anuradhapura era to Gampola era are unknown; and as stated in the history, during Kotte era the temple was sponsored by the state. And it was governed by the Pepiliyana Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya.

    During the Kotte era with the invasion of the Portuguese the temple was completely destroyed and only the sacred Bo tree was protected. The people living in the area left for the upcountry due to the increasing harassment by the Portuguese, and as a result, with the passage of time the area was turned into a dense jungle without any human presence. Later in the year 1850 the sacred place with the Bo tree was re-discovered by Venerable Thengodagedara Thero who was residing at the Attidiya temple. The distance between the Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya and Raththanapitiya Paramadharmawardanarama temple is 2km.

    ...

    Paramadhammanivesa Pirivena

    The historic Paramadhamma Nivesa Pirivena is situated in Ambillawatte area of Boralesgamuwa township. Built during the time of King Parakramabahu the 6th, this sacred place is considered as an important place of worship.

    This school for the novice monks may have provided immense patronage to awaken and nurture the education sector in general and literature in particular. This place too came under Portuguese invasion. There is a distance of 2.4km between this pirivena and Raththanapitiya Paramadharmawardanarama temple.

    ...

    Sacred Bo Tree Of Pillewa

    This sacred Bo tree is planted closer to the picturesque Pillewa paddy fields in the town of Boralesgamuwa. It is in the border of Attidiya bird sanctuary. No valid record is found as yet regarding its history. But several unproven opinions have arisen, of which, one is that the premises used to be governed by the Pepiliyana Sunethradevi Raja Maha Viharaya during the Kotte era.

    Another opinion is that this Bo tree is one of the forty saplings which sprang from the most sacred and revered Anuradhapura Sri Maha Bo tree and that it was part of the Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya in the past. From this premises there is a distance of 1km to the Paramadharmawardhanaramaya.

    ...

    Wijayarama Rajamaha Viharaya

    As one proceed along Wijerama Avenue at the Wijerama junction this temple can be approached. Its inception runs down to the Kotte era. It had been built with the state patronage during the tenure of King Parakramabahu the 6th of Kotte. But this temple too, had stood no chance against the Portuguese invasion, unfortunately.

    It was evident by the relics of burnt, blackened, demolished stone columns and stone slabs that lie all over the temple premises. The distance between Paramadharmawardanaramaya and this historically important temple is 1.8km.