Not seeing a Scroll to Top Button Paramadhamma.org - The Parts of The Temple
Paramadharmawardhanaramaya, Boralesgamuwa
Gallery - The Parts of The Temple
01. Sacred Dagoba
The purest pure white pagoda of the Paramadharmawardhanarama temple takes a very significant place. It was planned and designed by the "Sri Sujatha lay women's society", with the help of the contributions made by the townsfolk of Raththanapitiya and those around. In 1954 the foundation stone was laid and the construction work was completed in no time thanks to the funds gifted by the well wishers. According to the records the ceremonies of pinnacle laying and deposition of relics had taken place in 1955.

The pagoda which was restored in October 2015 after a long time on the advice of the present chief incumbent venerable Raththota Seelawansa Thero was opened by Mahanayaka Thera of Kotte, Siamese Chapter most venerable Iththapana Dhammalankara Thero on 1st Nov 2015. The new pagoda rests on a sand compound and comprises four Buddha mansions on all four directions.
02. Sacred Bo Tree
All outdoor religious activities take place in the Bo tree arena. On 23rd October 1933, the foundation stone laying to construct a protective wall around the Bo tree had taken place. On 29th of December same year the construction work was completed. In 1934 on the 23rd of January which was the full moon day, amidst the devoted chanting of "Sadhu! Sadhu!" it was inaugurated. Fifty years later in 1984, on the 18th of June with proper facilities to offer flowers, incense and oil lamps it was renovated.

After another 30 years, in 2004, the then chief prelate most venerable Veralugasthanne Pangnananda thero had the Bo tree arena and the protective wall renovated again. It was inaugurated by the late most venerable Bellana Sri Gnanawimala thero on the 5th of February 2004. There were two Buddha Statues in front side and back side of the Bo tree. Furthermore, there was space made available not only to perform religious offerings, but also for the purpose of meditation.

In 2016, this Bo tree arena was renovated with 28 Buddha statues, a golden fence, an upper terrace, a glim area and a great wall as a concept of the present chief prelate Venerable Raththota Seelawansa thero. It was opened on 1st of October, 2017 by the Most Venerable Iththapane Dhammalankara Thero and Bellanwila Wimalarathana Thero with the participation of Maha Sangha & villagers.
03. Shrine Room
The construction work of the temple shrine was completed on the 12th of June 1955. Though small in its dimensions and simple in its architecture, it is nevertheless a very charming temple shrine. Its history speaks of a foundation stone laying on the 31st of December 1931. The Buddha statue with one hand of the Lord Buddha pointing towards the earth (Bhoomi Sparsha Mudra) signifies that even the mother earth testified that the Satanic Mara forces were gloriously defeated by his Lordship. The Buddha statue is capable of bringing everyone who sees it to instant tranquility.

On either side of the Buddha statue are the statues of Arahat Saints Sariputta and Maha Moggallana theros. The walls of the room in the east and the west have been divided into upper and lower sections. The lower sections of the painted walls depict monks in veneration of the Lord Buddha while the upper portions depict painting of significant events of the Lord Buddha's life.

These include the Lord Buddha gazing at the Bo tree, The Golden Bridge, Sitting inside the Jewelled Chamber, Meditating under the Banyan tree, The Muchalinda cobra's hood over Lord Buddha's head and Lord Buddha under the Rajayathana tree. In the lower section of the front wall in front of the Buddha statue, there are four monks gazing atLord Buddha and in upper section, the paintings of Lord Buddha's first sermon, Dhammachakkappavaththana Sutta and defeating the daughters of Satanic Mara. The ceiling is painted with the horoscope of Lord Buddha and the inter spaces of each wall is decorated with the traditional, ancient, sinhala motifs.
04. Demigod Shrine
The devala area was methodically reconstructed under the patronage of present chief incumbent Venerable Raththota Seelawansa thero. It was opened by the Most Venerable Professor Bellanwila Wimalarathana thero at the auspicious time of 10.05 a.m. on the 12th March, 2014. There are several demigod shrines allocated here, to Lords Upulvan, Kataragama, Sumana Saman, Dedimunda, Gambhara, Wibeeshana, Ishwara and the demi goddess Paththini, Saraswathi and others as well. A special "Muruthan Pooja" is held every month on first Saturday to invoke blessings of the resident deities of the shrines on the devotees. The devalaya is open to devotees everyday from 5.00 p.m. to 9.30 p.m.
05. Temple Hall
Under the auspices of the chief incumbent Venerable Veralugasthanne Pangnananda thero, the temple hall was built in 1991 and named "Sri Pemananda chief prelate commemoration hall". Each month on the fullmoon day the "Sil Campaign" gets underway for devotees from around three areas of the vicinity of the temple to observe either the eight or the ten precepts.

Dhamma school classes of the 4th to 11th year are also conducted here in the hall on Sundays. In addition, meetings of the various groups such as The temple alms committee, Young Buddhists' Association, Siri Sujatha lay womens' Society, Dhamma School Development Society and Paramadhamma Social work Foundation and other committees in the village are also held here. There is a small platform at one end of the hall, on either sides of which are two small rooms. One such is used as the main office of the Dhamma school. A renovated room connected from behind of the hall is used to prepare meals to the Sunday Dhamma School students and the devotees observing precepts on full moon days.

The history records of a foundation stone laying to build a temporary hall on 27th July 1931 and then another foundation stone laying the 19th March 1939 to build a two storey temple hall for which work had begun soon with the supply of necessary wood beams. All that was installed and proved unsuccessful. After removing this foundation another hall in front of the Temple Shrine was built in the same year and had been opened on the 28th June with a grand ceremony.
06. Dhamma School Building
There arose the need for a temple centered Dhamma School amongst the townsfolk for their children. That was in 1942, an era when the spiritual education in the country was at a low ebb. Under the auspices of the then chief prelate, Most Venerable Veralugasthanne Premananda thero, the Dhamma School was conducted with just 14 students. Today it has evolved to great heights. The oldest Dhamma School building can be still seen near the monks' residence. Due to the increase in enrolled number of students, the classes from year 4 to year 11 have been shifted to the temple hall.
07. Monks' Residence
The then Alms Committee bought another piece of land belonging to Don Suvaris to build the present temple. The survey columns were planted at an auspicious time to demarcate the land in 1931 on the 26th January. The deed prepared on the 2nd March 1931. The house warming ceremony of this temporary dwelling was held under the auspices of Venerable Lenadora Dhammarakkhitha thero. Simultaneously Venerable Dankande Upatissa and Venerable Veralugasthanne Premananda theros came to live there. In 30th July 1931, the two monks began their very first rainy season formalities upon the invitation of the town folks. In 1936 May 22nd at the auspicious time of 01.04 p.m. the groundbreaking ceremony to lay the foundation to build a residence for the monks was held. The same year the chief prelate of Boralesgamuwe Paramadhammanivesa Pirivena, Most Venerable Lenadora Dhammarakkhitha thero laid the foundation stone at a quiet ceremony. In the same year on 5th July, eight stalwart Buddhists were ceremoniously invited to lay the foundation stone. On that day a sum of Rs.140 was collected as donations. On the 5th November 1943, the so built brand new residence was offered to the order of Buddhist monks, at a ceremony held by "Siri Sujatha lay womens' society" with the support of well-wishers in the presence of about 30 Buddhist monks.
08. Flower Stall
There is a small stall set up at the entrance to the temple to provide flowers to the devotees, on some full moon days. The stall had come into being on 27th June, 1961 to encourage youth to grace the temple more instead of distancing themselves from it. The then chief incumbent Most Venerable Veralugasthanne Pemananda thero thus forming a "Childrens' flower alms society" was able to get the youth to come to the temple. As a result there arose the stall means for flower alms.
09. Preparation Stall
This stall is used to prepare various offerings such as flowers, lamps, incense, medicinal drinks etc., taken in procession to the three sacred sites in the temple. A small bell is rung before the procession to make it known that the formalities are about to commence. All paraphernalia used for offerings are well stored in this stall.
10. Chime Post
This is built somewhat towards the rear of the temple shrine. The small chime fixed in the post gets rung each evening at 6.30 p.m. when the evening offerings take place. The history of the modern chime dates back to 8th November 2008. During the time the Japanese bombed the country in 1942, there was an army camp built close by to the temple by the British rulers. A group of Sinhalese Buddhists who had come to provide security to the camp had volunteered to construct the first Chime post.
11. Washing Stand
Earlier the devotees had to draw water from a well in the premises for cleaning and washing purposes. In 2012 under the guidance of the present chief prelate Venerable Raththota Seelawansa thero, a washing stand was constructed. It consists of 6 water taps for the convenience of the devotees.
12. Giant Lamp
The lamp of the twelve months is set in a small octagonal shaped room of whose design adds beauty and colour to the temple.
13. Temple Garden
Temple gardens always boast of pleasing environs. In Paramadharmawardhanarama temple, giant trees can be seen wherever you look. Winds and breezes flow through these trees soothing body and minds of those visiting it. There are lots of trees, creepers, bushes and plants by the thousands that are of medicinal and aesthetic value, such as Cranberries (Maadam), Rosewood, Ironwood, Mango, King coconut, Bread fruit, Ginger, Aloe vera, Ixora, Banyan, Sapu, Gammalu, Govinda, Ranawara, Koboneela, Asparagus, Thippili, Pranajeewa, Sandal, Palu, Ebony, Vishnukranthi, Rathkirivel, Ashoka, Devadaara, and many more.
14. Entrance
The history of the simple, but massive wall tower in front of the entrance of Paramadharmawardhanarama Temple begins from 1993. The top part of the wall tower is restored in the latter part of 2015 and taking measures to preserve the original structure of the wall tower is very significant.
...

Functions & Events

...

Old Photos